SRWFL Division One South Sun 30 January Oaklands Park
Chichester City
  • Own Goal (38', 57')
AFC Stoneham

Gaby Hobday opened the scoring for Chichester with a well-taken goal seven minutes before half-time. Katie Bundy then doubled Chi’s lead in the second half when she found the bottom corner after forcing the defender into a mistake.

The game started quietly with neither side able to create any early chances. Lisbeth Mottashed did well to read a long pass and intercepted it well before it could reach the attacker.

Chloe Simmonds’ clearance fell to Stoneham’s Jess Treweek, but her effort went wide of the Chi goal.

The home side won the first corner of the game on six minutes. The corner eventually fell to Molly Jones who sent her volley off target.

Elinor Williams pressed well and won the ball back on the edge of the opposition area, only to fire an effort wide of Stoneham goal. A minute later, Hobday had a chance, but her touch just allowed the goalkeeper to get to the ball before she could get a shot away.

Katie Long saw the ball fall to her after Williams’ shot was blocked, but Long’s effort was deflected behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Williams was proving to be a threat up front for Chichester. She pounced on the ball after the Stoneham defence failed to clear it away and fired wide of the goal.

Elinor Williams looks to win the ball back for Chichester (Picture: Neil Holmes)

Stoneham’s Kayden Woods looked to play a cross into a dangerous area on 32 minutes, but Simmonds came out well to claim the ball before it reached the striker.

Two minutes later, Aimee Boxall and Hobday defended well to prevent Woods from getting a shot away.

Moments later, Mottashed made a great challenge in the penalty area to deny Chloe Andrews.

On 38 minutes, Hobday put Chichester in front. Long played a brilliant pass over the defence to the Chi captain who ran through on goal and made no mistake firing across the goalkeeper into the net.

The players celebrate as Gaby Hobday opens the scoring (Picture: Neil Holmes)

Six minutes into the second half, the visitors were able to hit Chi on the break, but the shot didn’t trouble Simmonds.

Bundy switched the ball out to the right-wing to find Jones, but as she looked to cut in, she was just stopped by the defender.

Shortly after, on 57 minutes, Bundy doubled the hosts’ lead. The Chichester No.15 pressed well and forced the defender into an error. She then ran through one-on-one with the goalkeeper and calmly slotted the ball into the far corner.

Katie Bundy doubles Chi’s lead (Picture: Neil Holmes)

Just after the hour mark, Andrews almost pulled a goal back for the visitors when she headed just over.

With 12 minutes left of the 90, the visitors continued to search for a goal. A pass through the Chichester defence almost found the attacker, but again, Simmonds was off her line quickly to claim the ball.

On 89 minutes, the visitors had the last chance of the game but were denied by a great save from the Chichester shot-stopper.

Next up for Chichester City Women is a trip to bottom of the table Milton United on Sunday 6th February.

Chichester City: Simmonds, Collins, Eloise Williams, K.Long, Jones, Elinor Williams, Hobday, Boxall, Mottashed, Bundy, C.Long

Substitutes: Andrade-Paris, Verrinder, Garnder, Bond, Butler

Goals: Hobday 38, Bundy 57