First Team
FA Cup Second Round Qualifying Sat 17 September BuildKent Stadium
Folkestone Invicta
  • Yusuff (3')
  • Vincent (8')
  • Jackson (87')
Chichester City

Kaleem Haitham might have dragged the Sussex side back into the contest on 27 minutes but hosts’ keeper Bailey Vose saved his spot kick.

When the two teams met mid-week in the Velocity Trophy at Oaklands Park in January last season a mixture of stalwarts, U23s and U18s gave the Step 3 club a half time scare as Chichester led 2-0. However, the Seasiders, with eight players who’d featured against National League Wrexham in the fourth round of the FA Trophy last time out, smashed in five second half goals to turn things round and grab a 5-3 win.

Here, new signing Ethan Robb was the only Chi change to the starting XI that lost 1-0 to Faversham on Tuesday.

(Pictures: Randolph Fine)

Invicta’s front three of Yusuff, Jackson and Kadell Daniel wreaked havoc from the off with Daniel teeing up Yusuff for his sixth goal in as many games after only three minutes.

The visitors’ skipper Josh Clack was denied moments later as Vose got his angles right.

Daniel then bought a soft free-kick off left back Eric-Georges Dellaud which Jackson drilled to Invicta man of the match Nathan Green whose shot was deflected.

Chichester failed to clear their lines and Vincent was in the right place at the right time to double the advantage eight minutes in.

Daniel fizzed one over the bar following good work by Yusuff before Ethan Prichard and Olly Munt hooked up and Munt’s effort was blocked.

Chi stopper Kieran Magee palmed away a 14th minute corner and Ryan Davidson cleared Jackson’s next one.

Adam Biss, in his last game before a suspension, picked out Munt with a raking pass before Ronnie Dolan got the match’s first yellow card for some retaliation on Davidson.

Munt’s lovely back heel offered Clack an opportunity but he miscued ahead of a spat of sorts when Emmett Dunn was fouled.

The away side then won a penalty after Robb found Haitham who played Clack in one-on-one with Vose only for the hosts’ custodian to bring Clack down.

Chichester weren’t awarded a single penalty in 51 games in all competitions the previous campaign but got their second one in nine games so far this term.

It wasn’t a good one though, and Vose gathered Haitham’s straight-down-the-middle pen easily enough.

Two corners came to nothing for Chi in quick succession; Daniel blazed an attempt high and wide; and Green found Daniel after good play but he headed off target.

Magee then claimed a Jackson attempt down low before Jackson passed to Dolan who sent Green on a mazy run that eventually fizzled out with Dunn clearing.

Yusuff was carded for some shoulder to shoulder stuff with Robb, and Davidson headed away once more before Magee saved impressively with his feet on the stroke of half time.

Chichester huffed and puffed after the break without any real cutting edge, and it was all meat and drink to be fair for the Isthmian premier division outfit as their opponents failed to find the back of net for the third game in four.

Lewis Hyde made a couple of decent challenges and Munt was inches away from picking out Davidson with a 52nd minute corner.

Lukas Micevicius replaced Dellaud on 54 before Dolan blasted an effort wide.

Magee got an outstretched boot to Jackson’s fierce drive and then a mix-up at the back nearly made it 3-0 but Magee was alert and recovered the loose ball.

Next, Yusuff hit a tame shot on the turn and the home side failed to capitalise on another mistake by the Chi back line.

Robb’s super chest pass instigated a slick move from which the visitors earned a corner before Scott Heard clipped Haitham and Hyde wasn’t far off reaching Munt’s set-piece.

Both sides rang the changes again with Isaac Bello coming on for Prichard.

Haitham then rode a challenge down the left flank but his subsequent shot was blocked.

Hyde’s well-timed tackle on Jackson ended a threatening Invicta break and Ben Mendoza came on for the last 15 with Dunn dropping back to replace the injured Hyde at CB.

Moments later Jackson teed Ian Draycott up but the Invicta sub air shot.

Neat skills from Mendoza got him into the penalty area to win Chi a corner before Munt lost the ball in the middle of the park and Magee denied Jackson.

Draycott then struck a long-ranger into Magee’s gloves and Ibrahim Olutade fizzed one straight at the Chi keeper.

But Magee could do nothing about the Seasiders’ third goal as teammates backed off Jackson who steered the ball into the bottom left hand corner on 87 minutes.

So, Chi, who lost to 2021-22 National League South champions Maidstone last year at this stage of the world’s oldest knock-out competition are out once again.

Miles Rutherford’s side travel to Littlehampton for a league game on Tuesday 20th September (Kick Off 7:45pm).

Chichester – Magee, Davidson, Dellaud, Biss, Hyde, Robb, Prichard, Dunn, Clack, Munt, Haitham (Bello, Dos Santos, Mendoza, Moore, Micevicius, Carroll).