First Team
Velocity Cup First Round Sat 19 August The BodyMould Mattress Community Stadium
Broadbridge Heath
  • Lindsey (44')
1 (3)
Chichester City
  • Honore (49')
1 (4)
1-1 (3-4 pens)

Jake Lindsey had put Broadbridge Heath in front in the 44th minute only for Conrad Honore to level things up with a lovely long-ranger early in the second half.

Ethan Prichard, missing from the starting XI in the opening Isthmian south east league game last time out, returned for Lloyd Rowlatt, and debutant Lee Suk-jae lined up instead of Isaac Bello who was on the bench with Adam Biss, Jamie Horncastle, Tyler Giddings and Honore.

It was the home side who started the match at the BodyMould Mattresses Community Stadium the brighter and Lindsey muscled past Josh Clack, playing in an uncustomary role at right back, after barely sixty seconds. But Clack recovered and Chi cleared.

Ashley Mutongerwa then fouled Emmett Dunn before Rob Hutchings probed down the left flank and Lee found Kaleem Haitham, although the Bears keeper and a defender did well to keep the No10 out.

Next, Haitham and Prichard linked up but the final ball was a little too long for Lee.

Seven minutes in former Three Bridges centre back Tad Bromage headed away a Prichard cross whipped in from the right.

And Mutongwera had the match’s first chance soon after only for a combination of Ben Pashley and Rob Hutchings to concede a corner which Jamie Chesworth took and Bromage’s attempt was off-target.

Good feet by Lee on 11 in a move involving Dunn and Rob Hutchings saw the visitors win a throw which came to nothing before skipper Steve Hutchings and Joe Clarke set Haitham up for an opportunity he couldn’t keep down.

Matthews then gathered as Haitham passed to an over-lapping Rob Hutchings.

Haitham then gave away a couple of fouls on first Jack Frankland and then Charlie Weller before Matt Penfold’s ball towards Lindsey was just too firm.

Chichester lost Lee to a shoulder injury in the 20th minute and Honore came on.

Scally conceded a throw after Magee punted a long one towards Dunn and then a first Chi corner which Prichard delivered and the Bears steered away.

The hosts broke from this and forced Magee into a stop and Clack fended a dangerous Lindsey off this time.

Referee Joel Lamping overlooked an obvious back pass to Matthews on the half hour and a blow to Prichard’s face in a move when Rob Hutchings’ cross wasn’t far away from finding his namesake.

Lindsey got fouled by Clack and Heller struck his free-kick a little too deep towards Scally at the back stick.

Frankland then skewed an effort off target after Mutongerwa teed him up and Magee claimed another Heller set-piece easily enough.

Superb skill from both Prichard and Haitham led to the latter jinking this way and that as he broke into the box but couldn’t pull the ball back to a well-placed Dunn.

And then a minute before the interval Broadbridge Heath’s No9 found Lindsey and the deadlock was broken as his shot nestled in the bottom corner.

Mr Lamping signalled two minutes of additional time in which Bromage impeded Steve Hutchings and Rob Hutchings drilled the resulting free-kick into the wall.

Bello came on for Clarke at the break as Chi rejigged and Clack moved up top.

The Bears, who won the SCFL Premier Division last season and earned promotion to Step 4 for the first time, as Chichester did in 2018-19, worked a fine cross in the 46th minute which the Chi back line cleared.

And then Honore made it honours-even with a first goal of the campaign that was something else, picking up Bello’s pass some way out and rifling a shot into the back of the net.

Dunn might have made it 2-1 on 51 with an effort that wasn’t far away.

Prichard delivered a cross which was hooked clear; a set-piece fell to Scally but Chi scrambled the ball out; and Clack had a header after slick stuff.

Miles Rutherford & Co rang the changes on 57 minutes with Adam Biss and Tyler Giddings replacing Dunn and Pashley.

And a poor Giddings’s pass presented Charlie Parmiter with a chance he fired over.

An Honore mistake also gifted the home team another opportunity but Bello bailed him out.

Sub Bradley Campbell-Francis won his side a corner which Bromage headed over.

Captain Penfold then danced round his marker and played a decent through ball which was turned out for a throw before Rob Hutchings’ cross-cum-shot went wide of the mark.

Steve Hutchings got booked for taking out Chesworth on 72 and exchanges between Prichard and Clack led to a forward pass with Steve Hutchings marginally offside.

Matthews came to the hosts’ rescue following Scally’s miskick and Mario Quiassaca replaced Mutongerwa and Jamie Horncastle came on for Rob Hutchings who had cramp.

A mistake by Biss got Quiassaca in and only a brilliantly timed tackle from Bello prevented the Bears taking the lead.

Honore’s defence splitting pass was wasted with a poor cross and Magee got out smartly ahead of Lindsey as the game opened up in the last ten.

Subs Louis Evans and Campbell-Francis combined but Giddings made an excellent challenge for a corner which the hosts failed to capitalise on.

And Quiassaca beat Bello to a bouncing ball only to drag his effort wide before Curtis Da Costa and then Horncastle were on hand to make interventions.

Haitham and Hutchings exchanged a neat one-two in time added on but Clack pushed the through ball too far and Matthews intercepted.

At the other end Magee was off his line sharply ahead of an opponent and a bit of pinball in the box almost fell to sub Faris Khallouqi who might have scored moments later only to blaze high and wide.

Magee then claimed a low Khallouqi delivery and was forced into another decent stop on the final whistle.

And so, we went straight to penalties. Khallouqi smashed the first one into the bottom left hand corner and Matthews saved Steve Hutchings’ attempt. Quiassaca and Prichard both converted but Magee denied Matthews’ third pen before Horncastle made it 2-2. Penfold and Clack calmly found the back of the net before Scally fired over, leaving Magee to score the decisive match winning penalty.

Chi welcome Lancing to Bognor’s MKM Arena in Nyewood Lane on Saturday 26th August (Kick Off 3pm) and return to Broadbridge Heath for a league fixture on Bank Holiday Monday 28th August (Kick Off 3pm).

Chichester – Magee, Clack, Rob Hutchings, Dunn, Da Costa, Pashley, Haitham, Clarke, Steve Hutchings, Lee, Haitham, Prichard. Subs – (Biss, Honore, Horncastle, Bello, Giddings)