Both Steve Hutchings and Rob Hutchings returned to the starting XI with the impressive Joe Moore and Isaac Bello, who lined up against Lancing mid-week in that Velocity Cup 5-1 away victory, dropping to the bench.

Chi were drubbed 4-1 by Becks in the corresponding fixture last year, 2-0 down after barely 15 minutes, and prolific Beckenham hit man Louie Theophanous made his come back here.

The hosts got through to the fourth round of qualifying for the Emirates FA Cup in 2022-23 and lost 1-0 in the play-off semi-finals, but they’ve found things tougher this season so far.

Beckenham keeper Nick Blue launched one forward towards Bradley Ryan four minutes in which the visitors’ defence dealt with.

Then after a neat exchange between Ryan and left back Jargal Enkh, Ethan Prichard conceded a free-kick which Enkh took and skipper Danny Waldren headed into Kieran Magee’s arms.

Theophanous had a shot blocked in the ninth minute before the away team countered and Rob Hutchings lashed an effort wide.

Prichard was subsequently impeded by Enkh and Lee Seok-jae’s set-piece was half cleared by the Becks’ backline to Steve Hutchings who couldn’t get a decent connection.

Next, Curtis Da Costa played a precision ball into Lee in the box but smart defending won a goal kick.

Anthony Adesite profited from Lee’s misplaced pass and whipped a measured cross over.

Ryan Davidson cleared after Mudiaga Wanagho sent in a throw and Enkh gave away an odd free-kick for handball.

Magee cut out Enkh’s low delivery on 19 and wasn’t troubled by a Ben Mundele long-ranger moments later.

Magee’s counterpart Blue cleared ahead of Honore at the other end and Emmett Dunn went into Mr Morrison’s notepad for throwing the ball away after a free-kick was strangely given to Beckenham.

Freddire Nyhus wasted this and then Adesite wriggled past a couple of players on the break before a Da Costa diag to Rob Hutchings caused some problems for the hosts.

34 minutes in Magee was forced into the first real save of the match – parrying a fierce Theophanous rocket.

Blue then was also called into action to deny Honore as he palmed the ball over for a corner.

Lee took this and under pressure from Steve Hutchings a defender steered it out for a throw-in.

Things started to liven up now and Blue was equal to Joe Clarke’s drive and less troubled by Rob Hutchings’ weaker attempt five minutes before half time which lacked power.

Enkh read Honore’s pass to Prichard and nipped in and Ben Pashley played a clever one-two with an overlapping Rob Hutchings but Blue gathered his effort.

And on the stroke of half time Lee delivered towards an advanced Davidson but his header went the wrong side of the post.

Straight from the restart Enkh’s threatening cross forced Pashley to concede a corner which was taken by Ryan. The ball fell kindly to Theophanous, who scored what proved to be a consolation in the 2-1 defeat at Oaklands Park in Chi’s nine-game unbeaten run last season, but defenders managed to block.

Then Honore put the visitors in front slotting in from close range after Prichard broke with the ball from his own half and found his teammate with a slide-rule cross three minutes in.

Beckenham replied through a decent interchange between Ryan and Harry Gamble down the left only for the backline to repel.

Next, Prichard hit a wayward delivery moments before Lee picked out Steve Hutchings for a first-class touch and finish to double Chi’s advantage and effectively put the game to bed.

Da Costa sent Davidson scampering past a challenge or two, although Becks tidied up; Magee claimed another Enkh cross; and Nyhus pulled an effort wide.

Then Gamble fouled Davidson and Dunn’s free-kick was too close to Blue.

Just after the hour Cameron Andrews replaced Nyhus and Bello came on for Lee.

The Chi sub was involved immediately bursting through and finding Prichard whose shot was straight at Blue this time.

Prichard then pulled a super double-save out of Blue after lovely work from a battling Honore, Da Costa, Dunn and Davidson.

The resulting corner came to nothing before Becks players fouled first Bello and then Dunn.

Adesite made way for Steve Townsend on 73 and Enkh was cautioned for scything down Prichard. Dunn cracked the consequent set-piece well wide.

An injured Gamble was exchanged for George Goodwin and Pashley picked up a nasty knock to his head which required some physio.

Blue coped easily enough with Honore’s speculative effort from distance and Chi earned a free-kick on the edge of the area that Prichard took but the ball was always rising.

Dunn was substituted for Moore and Olly Munt came on for Honore.

Beckenham sought to get back into the game and an excellent delivery from Townsend led to an on-target header which was blocked.

Townsend’s cross with a minute of normal time to go caused problems for the visitors and they had one from Ryan on the other side to contend with too.

The Becks No10 was gifted a golden opportunity by Davidson’s under-hit back pass but couldn’t convert and then Townsend absolutely wiped out Rob Hutchings only to receive just a yellow card.

Steve Hutchings was also booked for catching his marker but Magee outjumped everyone and gathered the following free-kick.

So, an unbeaten Chi are five league games into the season and still yet to concede a goal in the Isthmian South East. Division leaders Three Bridges, on whom Miles Rutherford’s men have a game in hand, travel to Bognor’s MKM Arena next on Tuesday 10th October (Kick Off 7:45pm).

Chichester – Magee, Davidson, Rob Hutchings, Clarke, Da Costa, Pashley, Lee, Dunn, Steve Hutchings, Honore, Prichard. Subs – (Bello, Moore, Lumsden, Munt, Jones)