The reverse fixture on the opening day of the season in south east London finished goalless and Chi came into this match on the back of a double victory over Hythe Town and Broadbridge Heath whereas Phoenix lost to Cray Valley PM last time out, but beat Sevenoaks and Ashford before that.

Here, both Rob Hutchings and Emmett Dunn returned from one game suspensions.

Connor Cody partnering Hutchings at CB pinged the ball towards Isaac Bello early doors and the hosts won a throw and then a set-piece as Kyle O’Brien was fouled.

Another was given for an infringement on Bello on the edge of the box. Hutchings took this and Ethan Prichard had the first shot of the match on five minutes,

The ball seemingly struck a Sports defender – no pen according to ref Jacob Wright.

Neat play from O’Brien led to a Prichard cross which fell to Dunn in the eighth minute but he couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity from close range.

Moments later, No9 Josh Clack was played in as the home side pressed once more although custodian Andy Walker made a fine stop.

Chi blew a couple of corners as well before the visitors’ Gael Kileba went on a dangerous run, cut inside, and was denied a penalty shout too.

Kileba then whipped a delivery over and O’Brien made a fine tackle for a corner which skipper Ryan Hayes took, although Ryan Davidson was floored by Ashdon Day.

A decent corner from Hutchings at the other end wasn’t capitalised on.

Kieran Magee chose not to come of his line as Kileba cut inside once again and the shot was deflected for a corner which dead-ball specialist Hayes took.

A slip by Hutchings at the mid-point presented Day with a chance that Magee managed to save and Dunn headed one off target from Prichard’s corner.

Joe Clarke first and then a teammate cleared their lines on the half hour mark and the London side hacked away a Hutchings’ free-kick.

Good strength by Hutchings shrugged Hayes off the ball before Cameron Brodie fouled Prichard.

Next, Prichard wasn’t far off after a slick passage of play and Clarke went into Mr Wright’s notepad.

Prichard’s tackle on Bertie Valler was firm but better timed than Clarke’s previously.

Kileba hit one high and wide before Emmanuel Oladejo did as well and no one could connect with Clack’s super cross on 44.

The incident packed and somewhat surreal second half kicked off in dubious fashion.

Bello burst through almost immediately and another player might have gone down for a shirt pull.

Clack then blazed over before a lovely Prichard cross got overlooked.

Kileba exchanged a clever one-two with Denzelle Olopade although the final ball was intercepted and Dunn was penalised for either offside or a push on Henry Douglas.

Tom O’Connor replaced Day 10 minutes in and Clack’s delivery was good but a little too deep.

Prichard received a yellow card for a challenge on Oladejo and then had one on himself unnoticed.

Joe Moore was well in on Kileba before a mistake by Magee gifted the visitors the opener when Brodie put the Kent team ahead with a speculative shot that squirmed beyond the Chi No1 on 65 minutes.

It might have been 1-1 60 seconds later though as O’Brien’s cross fell to Davidson but he passed it up.

Clack then played Bello in but he couldn’t get the ball under control.

However, Bello levelled with his third goal in three when a turn of pace enabled him to reach a tricky pass and slot out of veteran keeper Walker’s reach.

Douglas was booked in the 73rd minute before Kieran King came on for Valler.

Skill from Prichard led to a cross and a Chi corner which Hutchings delivered and Davidson got his head on.

Jimmy Wild then replaced Clack and Magee gathered a Hayes set-piece easily enough.

Davidson and Prichard both had attempts blocked as the hosts sought the all-important third goal.

Dunn and Wild then mishit before the away side broke and King, who’d only just come on, tried his luck and got a big deflection as the ball looped over a despairing Magee for 2-1.

Olly Munt and Lee Seok-jae were introduced for the two Joes on 88 as the hosts won a corner.

Hutchings had a go from distance and Bello drove into the box to no avail.

Six minutes of additional time were indicated.

Sub Ali Mansaray rolled over and over before Lee and O’Brien’s one-two teed up a cross towards Davidson which the right back didn’t possibly expect.

And then Magee gave the ball away cheaply to Haynes who lifted it in to condemn Chi to their first loss on the new 3G Oaklands Park.

City are back in action away at Littlehampton on New Year’s Day (Kick Off 3pm).

Chichester – Magee, Davidson, Hutchings, Moore, Cody, O’Brien, Bello, Clarke, Clack, Dunn, Prichard. Subs – (Munt, Spicer, Wild, Jones, Lee).