The Sussex side lined up with the usual pre-season mix of youngsters, trialists and regular starters that included Kieran Magee between the sticks, Rob Hutchings at left back, Jamie Horncastle in the middle and skipper Ryan Davidson on the other side. Emmett Dunn returned to centre midfield alongside Joe Clarke and Lloyd Rowlatt with Olly Munt and Jimmy Wild ahead of them.

Hutchings tried his luck with a long ranger in the third minute before the visitors had a chance at the other end 60 seconds later.

A Chi shot was then steered out for a corner which Hutchings floated over into the training net just behind the goal.

Another effort from the home side was dragged narrowly wide after both teams exchanged offsides.

It wasn’t goalless for long though as Dunn opened the scoring with a crisp strike following a couple of neat passes.

The lead might have been doubled moments later as an attempt was spurned in the box and then Wild couldn’t lift the ball over the keeper.

Next, Rowlatt forced the visitors’ goalie into a save after good work from Wild before Horncastle picked out his striker with a fine ball.

But it was 2-0 in the 15th minute as Magee dealt with an effort from distance easily enough, played the ball forward, and Wild found the back of the net.

Then Clarke got in effectively to tidy up an attack before Wild almost slid his No11 in and his counterpart gave Magee something to think about with a low cross.

Hutchings did well to concede a corner as the away side pressed once more and a decent delivery was cleared.

There was nothing though the hosts could do at the midpoint as the visitors’ No10 clinically struck the ball beyond Magee.

Hutchings then went on a clever run and found Munt who was fouled but the keeper saved his set piece.

Moments later Wild was also denied and the away side’s No11 delayed shooting and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Munt and Rowlatt played a neat one-two for a shot from distance and Hutchings picked his centre forward for an attempt that was just wide.


Davidson’s cross got cut out although Clarke rose above everyone and headed the resulting corner home before Munt made it 4-1 three minutes before the break turning a cross in from close range.

Wild couldn’t capitalise on a delivery moments later and Christchurch hit one over the bar on the stroke of half time.

It was 5-1 some 60 seconds after the break.

Wild was brought down in the area. Clack’s penalty kick was initially saved but he got to the loose ball ahead of everyone and smashed it in.

The visitors pulled one back from the spot on 48 with a kick Magee’s replacement was never going to save.

And then the same Christchurch defender conceded two own goals in as many minutes to make it 7-2.

Ethan Prichard turned and shot and found Mo Jammeh, who grabbed the equaliser from the spot against Pagham in the first pre-season friendly last Friday, with a brilliant pass only for his cross to be cleared.

Former Leyton Orient player Dean Cox then had a go and Wild’s shot after a lovely turn was blocked.

Prichard fired an effort well over following a brilliant chested set up from Jammeh.

Christchurch broke and forced a corner before Wild latching on to Dunn’s pass pulled an attempt wide.

Nice skill from Clarke presented Jammeh with a chance and the away team spurned one at the other end.

Jammeh headed just off as Prichard opened things up with 15 to go.

Play shifted this way and that and the visitors pulled a goal back from the spot on 86.

Tony Bernard, Steve’s father and founder of the Steve Bernard Foundation which has supported sporting projects in the south and raised hundreds of thousands of pounds since its formation in 2006, presented the trophy after the match.

Chi welcome Worthing to Oaklands Park on Saturday 13th July (Kick Off 3pm).